Welcome to our parish website. All newsletters and other updates are posted on the home page. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter @stwilfholycross. We are beginning the amalgamation process with Holy Cross, Whitwick so you can find information on new Mass times here.

02 February 2013

The touch of the Lord

Yesterday I made my confession and received the Sacrament of the Anointing of the sick in preparation for my operation next Friday. It is especially good for priests to receive the Sacraments they administer to others so often. There are a number of alternative prayers at different points in the rite of the Sacrament of the Sick. The priest who anointed me chose the prayer after anointing that I most often choose when I celebrate this Sacrament for others:

Father in heaven,
through this holy anointing
grant your servant comfort in his suffering.
When he is afraid, give him courage,
when afflicted, give him patience,
when dejected, afford him hope,
and when alone, assure him of the support of your holy people.
We ask this through Christ our Lord.
I always feel an enormous sense of privilege when I anoint sick parishioners. Yesterday it seemed a great privilege to receive the Sacrament of the Sick myself.  Thanks be to God.